EMPOWERING AFRICAN VOICES IN THE FACE OF CLIMATE INJUSTICE
Now in its second year, WE!Are Africa Unmuted is a powerful campaign that celebrates the remarkable spirit of Africa in the face of climate injustice and social challenges. We proudly showcase the ingenuity and resilience of African communities, especially in climate- vulnerable regions. Our stories speak directly from their lived experiences, reimagining Africa’s green climate future in innovative ways.
Are you in charge of a Creative Hub - a physical or online space that welcomes creatives, a place where learning, networking, and growth opportunities come together?
We want to hear from you!
We’re looking for fresh voices to inspire positive change for a brighter tomorrow.
Apply today, and help create the Africa you want to see
What are we looking for: As part of the WE!ARE Climate Justice campaign, Crtve Development is excited to invite Creative Hubs from Kenya to apply to participate in showcases, workshops and mentor programmes, which will address climate change in innovative ways.
From there they will take the lead in organising, overseeing, and fostering the creation of a Moment of Change (a dynamic pop-up showcase) or creative exhibit that embodies the spirit of climate justice within the framework of “The Africa We Want To See.”. This Moment of Change will spotlight collaborative work crafted in tandem with their community, and spotlight some of its most imaginative, impactful, and forward-thinking emerging young artists.
SHORTLISTED HUBS WILL BE SELECTED, FROM WHICH A WINNING HUB WILL BE SELECTED AND RECEIVE A USD 10,000 GRANT TO FURTHER BUILD OUT THEIR HUB.
Creative Hubs must demonstrate the following
in their application:
- Plan and execute three workshops to the creative community on art and creativity as a tool for social change. These workshops must have at least 30 participants in attendance
- One workshop to be delivered in Swahili, or other non-english language
- Winning Hub will participate in capacitation workshops to further develop their concepts and networking opportunities. Facilitate payments to the selected creative coordinator and five participating artists
- Have a strong and efficient team of at least three people, who will be committed to this project
INTERESTED HUBS ARE INVITED TO SUBMIT A PROPOSAL ANSWERING THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS.
Application deadline is 25 September, 2023.
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Country of Residence
- Gender (Man, Woman, Non-Binary)
- Name of Hub/Organisation
- Role at Hub/Organisation
- Hub Location (Physical address)
- Website/Social Media Handles
- Tell us about you (300 words)
- Tell us about your Hub (300 word bio)
- Tell us about the team that will work on this project with you
- Please describe your experience with climate change action advocacy and campaigns, if any? • Please describe your experience in mentorship/delivering workshops to creatives?
- What is the name of the creative coordinator and artists you hope to work with, and why?
- Have you worked with the above people before?
- Link to their websites, portfolio and/or social media handles
- Please share your proposed workshop topics and how you would deliver them
- Please share your proposed concept for the creative installation/pop-up showcase
Proposals can be submitted in any format.
Submit applications to email@example.com with the subject line ‘WE!ARE Application 2023’.
Midnight, 25, Sept, 2023
We believe that storytelling is a powerful tool to drive positive change, and through this campaign, we shed light on the lived experiences of those in the most climate-vulnerable spaces in Africa.
Our mission is to retell the story of Africa’s green climate future in new and innovative ways. By bridging the gap between the challenges they face and the policies that can shape their future, we empower African communities to actively participate in creating a sustainable and inclusive Africa.
With your support, we can continue to inspire change, one story at a time. Join us on this transformative journey to build a thriving Africa together, where the voices of the most vulnerable are heard, and their resilience becomes a beacon of hope for the world.
For updates and more information follow Crtve Development on Instagram
- What is a hub? In our view, a ‘hub’ is a place, whether physical or digital, that opens its doors to creatives, offering them learning, training, and networking possibilities. To be considered, hubs should be officially registered as organisations or charities, and exhibit a well-defined organisational setup.
- Will my entire team be involved in the campaign? We hope that your team will assist you in delivering workshops to your creative community, as well as helping with the final pop-up showcase and installation. Grants are made to Hubs and not individuals, thus is it important that your team is aware and engaged in this project.
- Do I have to have worked with the coordinator before in a professional capacity? No. We are open to supporting you to foster new working relationships for this project. However, you must be certain that all deliverables can be met.
- What type of pop-up showcases can the creative coordinator do? We encourage creative coordinators to be as innovative and practical as possible. Think about the community your showcase will be in, and how you can best engage. Some examples:
- A recyclable fashion showcase in the largest slum in Nairobi;
- An outdoor photography exhibition on a beach in Dakar;
- Street murals of climate activists on the streets of Soweto;
- A solar-powered climate-justice film screening in Kinshasa
- I am not based in Kenya, is there any other way I can get involved in this project? Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘WE!ARE Enquiry 2023’ to discuss this in more detail.
- When will shortlisted hubs be notified? Shortlisted hubs will be contacted during the week of 2 October, 2023
- When will the winning hub be notified? The winning hub will be announced on week of 9 October, 2023